Where are we going with this? The information on this page should increase understanding related to this standard: Understand how photosynthesis turns light energy into chemical energy.
ATP (Adenosine triphosphate, C10H16N5O13P3)NADPH (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate, C21H29N7O17P3)CO2 (Carbon dioxide)
C10H16N5O13P3 + H2O --> C10H15N5O10P2 + PO4-3
- Light independent reactions are also called the Calvin Cycle and dark reactions.
- The Calvin Cycle happens in the stroma of a chloroplast.
- CO2 from the atmosphere is used to start the Calvin Cycle.
- Energy from the light dependent reactions is used in the light independent reactions.
- The Calvin Cycle makes ADP and NADP+ to return to light dependent reactions.
- After 6 rounds of the Calvin Cycle, one glucose molecule is made.
- Requires water
- Makes ATP and NADPH for Calvin Cycle
- Releases oxygen.
Requires carbon dioxideMakes ADP and NADP+ to go back to light dependent rxns.Releases glucose.